Monday, July 2, 2007

Remembering The Little Things

On a recent trip to South Carolina my grandfather who is 94 years young did something that I will always remember. He showed me the importance of remembering the little things and how much it can bring joy to someone's life.

That Sunday after church as members fellowshipped with one another I saw my grandfather take the hand of a woman who came over to speak to him and kiss it. As I witnessed this expression of old school affection I learned two things; that my grandfather is still very young in mind, heart and spirit, and the smile which caressed the woman's face showed how much she appreciated his gesture. When I saw this, it not only touched me, but made me mindful of just how important the little things in life really are.

Often times it's easy to let the little things fall by the way side due to the hustle and bustle of life and managing our everyday responsibilities, however we have opportunities everyday to share a smile, a hug, a kiss, encouraging words, or a simple hello with someone. We never know what that person could be going through in their life or on that particular day, but one thing we do know a smile is contagious and if you give one, more than likely you'll get an even bigger one in return.

I'll be the first to admit that on those days where I'm in the zone and don't want to be bothered or I'm deep in thought over a situation, perfect strangers who I may have seen at the gas station, in the line at the grocery store, or the bank have shared a smile or a hello, which in turn made me reflect on myself and the mood I was in. When I couldn't come up with a good enough reason to be in that mood, it was immediately lifted off of me. My outlook on my day changed, because I realized things aren't always as bad as they seem and that it's the little things in life that make living life so much easier. Can you imagine if everyone walked around with a frown on their face? How gloomy and desolate would life be?

The little things in life extend far beyond a hello or a simple sweet smile. Picking up the phone to call a friend you haven't talked to in years or volunteering to help the elderly and those in need, coaching or mentoring children in your community who may not have the positive influence they so desperately need. The little things are just that, little things that require little time or effort. They don't cost a thing and no matter how little you may think they are they can mean the world to someone else. I like to think of the little things in life as what God gave us to keep us connected with one another.

So I challenge you to share the little things in life with someone. You just never know how it will touch and change their life.

Stay inspired & empowered.

No comments: